BASIC COMPANY INFORMATION
Name of company:
Name and position of the person responding:
Juan Carlos Riveiro and Elisenda Bou (founders)
Brief description of company and business model
Vilynx has created the first Artificial Intelligence system that is capable of understanding and self-learning, so that it can be applied to any industry (from communication and digital media to robotics, IoT and security). Currently, Vilynx offers content labeling and indexing services to the News and Entertainment industry, as well as recognition and statistics generation services to the Sports industry.
CEO + Founding team. Brief description of trajectory
- Juan Carlos Riveiro was founder and CEO of Giggle Networks (acquired by Broadcom in 2010) with more than 100 patents in data-science, Machine Learning and Signal Processing. After Giggle, Riveiro decided he wanted to devote himself to equipping intelligence to robots.
- Elisenda Bou had studied the Msc at MIT and had worked with NASA and the European Space Agency on Artificial Intelligence Systems on distributed satellites. At the end of the PhD, she wanted to apply AI to help people.
- In 2013, Juan Carlos Riveiro and Elisenda Bou created Vilynx with the aim of achieving an Artificial Intelligence system with self-learning that was transversal and could be applied in various industries to help people.
Year of incorporation: 2012
No of employees: 45
- Juan Carlos Riveiro, CEO
- Elisenda Bou, CTO
- Jon Klein, President
- Maria Fierro, CFO
- Phil Zepeda, VP Product
Volum of investment taken in
Main goals achieved
- To date, Vilynx has become the default provider of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence solutions in the Media, News and Entertainment market in the United States, serving more than 2B of videos/month generated with artificial intelligence and recommendations. of content to millions of users.
- Technologically, Vilynx has created an artificial intelligence system with self-learning that is able to learn new content, even languages, autonomously.
Main challenges in the future
- In the short term, continue to dominate the American market and consolidate the European Media market.
- In the long term, bring the solution to new markets such as Sport, IoT and Security.
Why did you choose to establish the company in Barcelona?
The two founders had always wanted to bring technological and innovative projects of high impact to Barcelona. Despite this, due to the fact that risk investment is scarcer in Europe and particularly in Spain, there was a need to seek financing in the United States. For these two reasons, the team opted for a dual model (a company established in the United States but with the technical team in Barcelona).
Location: Barcelona, Palo Alto, NY
Inspiration? A model, company or business person/entrepreneur?
We are inspired by the Vilynx team, with whom we work every day. But we are always attentive also to what other organizations and startups do, of course.
Recommended book or books
- Many. For example, Reinventing Organizations, by Frederic Laloux.
What websites do you use to keep informed?
- We consult the main newspapers and newsletters of the sector. Often Twitter is also a very quick source of information for new events in AI and Machine Learning.
What apps you use most on your mobile?
What else would you like Barcelona to offer?
- Improve the legal framework for hiring foreign talent and stock options.