BASIC COMPANY INFORMATION
Name of company:
Name and position of the person responding:
Samantha López, founder and CSO
Brief description of company and business model
RheoDx develops a connected diagnostic device for the analysis of anomalies present in blood cells. It allows to improve the efficiency in the monitoring of patients with pathologies of diverse origin that cause some affectation to the blood cells, from anemias to oncological treatments. The business model is Diagnosis as a Service (DaaS): cession of the device and sale of consumables together with access to the web server. The main users are hematologists, in the hospital’s office.
CEO + Founding team. Brief description of trajectory
- Oliver Balcells, founder and CEO. Bachelor of Business Administration. MBA at IESE Business School. Experience in finance, Venture Capital and Start-Ups, locally and internationally.
- Joan Grasas, founder and CPO. Engineer, Masters in Engineering Management and International Business Management. Experience in Business Development and Start-Ups.
- Samantha López, founder and CSO. BSc in Biology and MSc in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics. Experience in research in Molecular Biology and Biophysics.
- PhD Aurora H. Machado, founder and advisor. Professor of Condensed Matter Physics at the University of Barcelona, with more than 100 international publications.
Year of incorporation: 2018
No of employees: 4
- Oliver Balcells, founder and CEO. His positions, in addition to directing the company, are focused on the management of finances, legal aspects and the regulation and certification of the product.
- Joan Grasas, founder and CPO. Product manager: specifications and manufacturing of prototypes, improvements and specifications for industrialization. Responsible for communication.
- Samantha López, founder and CSO. Responsible for the Research and Development strategy, and laboratory management.
Medical / Diagnostic
Volum of investment taken in
Main goals achieved
- Improvements in the prototypes developed and construction of 5 units for experimentation.
- Technology protected by a patent.
- Started the research and development strategy, and improvements in the product.
- Established agreements with institutions and hospital centers committed to helping with research.
- Private investment from high-level investors.
Main challenges in the future
- Currently, raising a seed round through Crowdfunding campaign through the Capital Cell platform.
- Incorporation of complementary profiles to strengthen the team.
- Construction of the first portable prototypes to experiment in collaborating hospitals.
- Certification of the product under the CE marking.
- Define the commercial strategy.
- Product industrialization.
Why did you choose to establish the company in Barcelona?
All the founders live in Barcelona and we like to be part of the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the city, and at the same time contribute our bit to it. We are witnessing the current growth of this ecosystem and we want to be part of this wave.
Location: Pier01 (Plaça Pau Vila, num. 1). Lab: Centre de Recerca Matemàtica (Campus Bellaterra, Cerdanyola).
Inspiration? A model, company or business person/entrepreneur?
Stat Diagnostica – Jordi Carreras
Recommended book or books
- Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success, by Adam Grant
What websites do you use to keep informed?
What apps you use most on your mobile?
What else would you like Barcelona to offer?
- More options to connect with the entrepreneur ecosystem; learn more easily the state of the art of start-ups born in the city. If you are not in the ecosystem in a very involved way you should do a lot of active listening to be up to date; this website is an excellent initiative to allow us.