BASIC COMPANY INFORMATION
Name of company:
Orain Technologies SL
Name and position of the person responding:
Xavier Sans Serra (CEO and cofounder)
Brief description of company and business model
Orain is the platform that provides services to the machines equipping them with social intelligence, with the aim of improving human interaction and increasing their performance, ensuring a better experience for users.
The current business model is based on the sale of a hardware device to the operators of the self-service machines (vending, laundries, coffee, tobacco, refrigerators, etc.) and the subsequent collection of fees in the SaaS model. This device communicates with users through an app, which is the point of interaction with consumers.
CEO + Founding team. Brief description of trajectory
Xavier Sans Serra (CEO and co-founder of Orain) is a telecommunications engineer with a master’s degree from the Ramon Llull University. Between 2010 and 2012 he was a member of the Research Group in Electromagnetism and Communications of La Salle. In 2013, he was co-founder of Knowxel – Crowdmobile, an alternative social network where his user community performs work for clients who need a lot of personnel to solve tasks in a short time. In 2016, he was one of the founders of Orain.
Year of incorporation: 2016
No of employees: 22
- Jose Luis Montero – CFO
- Josep Font Cot – CMO
- Sabrina Guzman – CPO
- Fran Zurita – CCO
Volum of investment taken in
Main goals achieved
- Raising of more than one million euros of investment from business angels and industrial partners such as Eurovending.
- Internationalization to the main European markets: Spain, France and Italy.
- Growth of 413% of the volume of transactions through the app during the last year (2018).
Main challenges in the future
- Be the new standard of interaction with self-service machines, offering complementary services that provide added value and better usability and experience.
- Become the world reference in terms of management, payment and interaction with machines.
- Grow exponentially in terms of the number of users and Orain machines.
Why did you choose to establish the company in Barcelona?
- Because it offers us a technological ecosystem of collaboration and recruitment of talent that other cities do not make possible. In addition, it is one of the cities in Spain with the highest percentage of self-service machines per inhabitant.
Inspiration? A model, company or business person/entrepreneur?
Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
Recommended book or books
The Hard Thing About Hard Things – Ben Horowitz
The Lean Startup – Eric Ries
The Art of War – Sun Tzu
What websites do you use to keep informed?
Techcrunch (Start Ups news)
Hostelvending (sectoral news)
La Vanguardia (local news)
What apps you use most on your mobile?
- Whatsapp, Linkedin and Orain
What else would you like Barcelona to offer?
An automated connection network that offers possible collaborations with other companies and guaranteed initial financing for technological or disruptive companies.