BASIC COMPANY INFORMATION
Name of company:
Name and position of the person responding:
James Buckland (Founder and CEO)
Brief description of company and business model
LoanBook is a platform for investment in credit to SMEs that allows investors to obtain an attractive return by investing in loans to companies with a solid career, proven solvency and good credit quality, and that offers companies quick access to financing.
We operate an online marketplace offering tools to ease the management and monitoring of their positions easily and efficiently to investors and borrowers.
We gain and select loans to companies through a rigorous process of risk analysis.
We generate and manage investments in loans from private and corporate investors.
We set up and manage loan portfolios for the investors of our platform.
We offer companies an alternative financing channel that is efficient, agile and with moderate financing costs that are objectively given.
We offer investors a better profitability by diversifying their risk through loan portfolios.
Since its incorporation until September 2018, LoanBook has set up more than 50 million euros of loans to SMEs.
CEO + Founding team. Brief description of trajectory
James Buckland (CEO) has a solid international experience as a leader in investment and asset management. He was COO of GPT Halverton, an investment and asset management platform with more than 3 billion euros under management. Before that, he was a lawyer specializing in investments, private equity and M&A at the Ashurst law firm in London.
Eloi Noya (partner) has developed his career in the financial sector. He was an analyst and responsible for risks at Banco Pastor and, aterwards, he has held several management positions at Caixa Catalunya: International Area Director and Business Marketing Director.
Year of incorporation: 2013
No of employees: 20
- James Buckland – CEO
- Lucas de Mendoza – COO
- Cecilia Moreno – Director of Investors and Institutional Relations
- José María Gómez-Acebo – Director of Professional Clients
- Alejo López – Director of Risks
Volum of investment taken in
Main goals achieved
- The most recent goal is having exceeded 50 million euros granted to SMEs.
- 830 formalised operations.
- More than 400 companies financed.
- More than 500 active investors in our platform.
Main challenges in the future
- We are working on an ambitious financing round of 25 million that will be divided in capital (3 million) and debt, to accompany the demand of institutional clients and strengthen their structure in order to face future growth challenges.
Why did you choose to establish the company in Barcelona?
We chose Barcelona in 2013 because we already intuited that it would be an important pole in the Fintech ecosystem, as it is currently being demonstrated. As well, Barcelona has always been a place with a very significant weight in the financial sector, together with the powerful industrial development of Catalonia, which made it easier for us to gain faster access to consolidated companies.
Location: Balmes, 171, 3th-1st, Barcelona. Velázquez, 94, 1st, Madrid
Inspiration? A model, company or business person/entrepreneur?
Recommended book or books
- “Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future“, de Ashlee Vance.
What websites do you use to keep informed?
What apps you use most on your mobile?
- Essentially those ones that allow me to communicate: email (corporate and Gmail) and Whatsapp.
What else would you like Barcelona to offer?
- Barcelona is a very complete city in every way. I have just read today an article in which Barcelona is considered the fourth preferred city in the world to work. Without a doubt, Barcelona is the reference city of startups in Southern Europe.